After a long day of gardening, I hit the kitchen and decided to make macaroni salad since it was "weather-permitting." This recipe I learned growing up and it has stuck with me ever since. I hope this recipe finds you well next time you are looking for a BBQ side dish.
Shopping List: All of the veggies are optional, including the eggs.
16 oz box elbow macaroni
1 medium-large onion (I used white)
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 broccoli crown
2 large carrots
1 can medium/small black olives
1 container cherry tomatoes
Large mixing bowl
Tablespoon / regular spoon(s)
Also - I messed up cutting my eggs because all the "good" knives were in the dishwasher ;).
1. Boil Pasta - You want to cook them less time - "Firm"
When done - you will want to drain and then put into the refrigerator
2. Start chopping up your veggies! I chopped the peppers, onions, carrots, and broccoli. I cut the tomatoes in half, and the olives into thirds. The carrots were shredded. Keep the shredded carrots separated, this is because 50% of them will end up sticking to your veggie bowl and not go into the actual salad.
3. While waiting for pasta to cool, boil your eggs. You want to add the eggs in with the water, bring to a boil, and then let boil for 20 minutes. Move eggs to a bowl of ice water once done.
4. Mix in the veggies (once the macaroni has cooled off.. I'm not going to lie, I have put the bowl in the freezer before to speed it up)
5. The rest of this recipe is based on YOUR taste buds, BUT I will give you some pointers.
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- drizzle mustard on top of salad, mix in, then repeat (TWO drizzles - main post picture for example)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Salt and pepper (don't over-do it.. do a light seasoning, mix, then repeat.
- Mayo: I started with a normal dining spoon and added about 4-5 heaping spoonfuls (you can always add more, so start with a couple spoonful.) Mix in thoroughly.
Don't mind my WILD hair....
- Add carrots
- Once eggs are cooled, slice and add to the top (optional)
Thanks for reading! Post some pictures if you guys make it!